Safety from the storm

I love looking outside watching the storm cover the ground with a mix of rain and snow. The wind is blowing out of control. Tumble weed is stirring in the air and then is quickly taken to the next yard never to be seen by my eyes again. The temperature is frigid and would cause goose bumps to sprout up within seconds.

I can sit and enjoy the storm, sip a nice cup of tea and appreciate the seriousness of what is occurring beyond my sliding glass door. Inside of my home it is a comfortable 70 degrees. I have warm winter socks, long sleeve shirt, and comfy pants on to keep the heat from escaping from my body. The sliding glass door gives me the opportunity to be comfortable and safe but also allows me to view what is going on right outside, just feet from where I am sitting. The glass on the door is thin but somehow protects me from the unrest of the storm. I know that at any moment I can walk out and feel the rain, snow, and wind on my face. 

If I decided to walk out and somehow found myself trapped outside all I would have to do is bang on that sliding glass door. From the storm looking in I can see safety. My family is laughing, yelling and enjoying the craziness of a big family. I know that right away if I banged on the door they would open it so that I could begin to thaw out. 

In 1 Peter; Peter is addressing the gentiles (us) that are scattered throughout and facing great persecution, slander, riots and even social ostracism. The readers are encouraged to rejoice and live above reproach. In the midst of the "storm" to live a life that is worthy of people noticing. 

1 Peter 5:10 proclaims,  "...the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."

There is safety in the arms of God in the midst of the trial. Many people say that God never gives us more than we can handle. Instead he promises us that in the storm a way out will be given and he will give us what we need to endure it. Another words, you will not be alone!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful, he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

You will find yourself inside looking out at the storm that others are facing in their own lives. Other times you may be tempted to run out into the storm "just to see what it is like." It is in those times that you are in the storm, freezing, desperate to find safety that you need to run and bang on the door and come in out of the cold and begin to thaw out. The storm isn't going to stop just because you were able to run in, instead it will have a thin piece of glass "God" protecting you from feeling overwhelmed by the wind that is relentless in beating against you. 

Not seeking God in the storm of your life is like standing at the sliding glass door, weeping and mouthing "let me in, I'm cold!" but never yelling and banging on the door saying that you need help. 

There are times in our lives that we run out into the storm thinking that we alone are strong enough to handle the horrible conditions. Just as the National weather agency issues notices of a storm that is coming, God has given us his word as a warning of things we must avoid. Storms that He already knows we are not equipped to travel through. The difference between the weather service and God is that He is always right! Stop putting yourself in harms way. He has already seen the storm on the horizon and wants you to safely stay out of harms way. 

If you already find yourself out in the storm.....

God loves you and there is safety in his arms, bang down the door with prayer and dig into your word so that you can begin to warm up and actually feel the safety he has to offer. 

You will face trial!!
You will have pain!!
You will have storms in your life!!!
and.....
You will need GOD!!! 




It is never too late to start yelling for help. He will open the door wide, throw a blanket around you and stand looking out and keep you safe until the storm passes. Praise the Lord, it is going to pass!! After it passes it is only then that you can go outside and survey the damage and begin the repairs. 

Don't try to repair the damage until you have found safety with God. 


Lord in the storms of my life help me to run to you. Through your word reveal ways to avoid the storms that we sometimes walk into. Help us to heed your warnings, take them seriously and not run out just to see if somehow we can keep warm while everyone else is freezing to death. Help us to seek shelter in your loving arms while the storms are pounding around us. Thank you Lord for loving us!!! --Amen


1 comment: